Proudly Serving Tyler and the Surrounding Area

Common Causes of House Fires and Methods for Preventing Them | Electrical Contractors in Tyler, TX

A fire is raging in your living room because your ten year old knocked over the candle on to the curtain. Should I try to douse the fire with water or run out of the house? This is a question many people have internally warred with when face-to-face with a fire. There’s a myth that people believe they have five minutes to escape when a fire starts. The reality is: It takes only thirty seconds for a fire to engulf an entire room. In fact, something more dangerous than fire is its smoke. A person can die due to asphyxiation more quickly than fire.

According to a research conducted by NFPA (National Fire Protection Association), in 2015, there were approximately 1,345,500 fires in the US. The fire caused $14.3 billion worth of property damage and 3,280 civilian deaths. This is why electrical contractors in Tyler, TX recommend that people install fire detection alarms in their house. A lesser known fact is that when a fire erupts at night, when you are sleeping, its smoke stifles your room temperature due to which you sleep deeper. This is where a smoke detection alarm makes you aware of the danger before the fire reaches its full potential.

Following are ten common house fires and their prevention methods:

Cooking Appliances

In the US, around 46% of fires caused in houses are due to cooking appliances. In the years 2010 to 2014, around 480 people died due to cooking equipment. The most common cause listed amongst these was cook-tops without ovens. According to electrical contractors in Tyler, TX, these kinds of fires mostly erupt at night, when people forget to turn off the gas nozzle and thus are caught unaware in the flames.

Prevention Tips

  • Make sure to take any pans or pots off the heat when leaving the kitchen
  • Use long spark lighters to light an oven or a gas cooker
  • If turning your attention to other kitchen tasks, turn down the flame
  • Avoid wearing lose clothing in the kitchen as it catches fire easily
  • Try to wear an apron at all times
  • Do not leave the children unattended in the kitchen
  • Clean your oven and toasters regularly
  • Make sure all appliances are off and the wires are unplugged when you are down for the night

Note: Always keep a spray extinguisher or a fire blanket nearby to put out small fires

Smoking Material Fire

In 2011, 90,000 fires were reported due to smoking material. The fatality count in these fires was 540, which was down by only a small margin from the previous year. Since then, the count has increased significantly. According to electrical contractors in Tyler, TX, fire caused due to smoking material is mostly because of tobacco. Fire in such cases is usually caused due to laziness or when dabbling with drugs.

Prevention Tips

  • Avoid smoking in bed or when tired
  • Always keep an ashtray nearby and make sure it is made of a material that is fire-resistant
  • Keep cigarette lighters out of your child’s reach
  • Make sure the flame from the stub is completely out before throwing it
  • Use child resistant lighters
  • Never throw a lit cigarette, as it can roll around and cause a fire

Note: Electrical contractors in Tyler, TX recommend installing smoke detection alarm in your house. These alarms are wired to detect any kind of smoke and make the home owner aware that a fire might start soon

Electrical Appliances

In 2014, around 24,000 fires were reported in the US due to malfunctioning of electrical appliances. Following are some electrical appliances and areas that can start a fire:

·      Faulty Outlets

Plugging an outdated appliance into the wrong outlet is one of the biggest causes of fires. The appliance might have a frayed cord, which when plugged into the outlet, sends heat onto flammable surfaces such as rugs, floors and curtains.

·      Light Fixtures

Ceiling bulbs, lamps or light chandeliers are the second most common causes of fire. Often, people buy a low wattage bulb and fix it into a high wattage socket. This might cause a spark or break the bulb and start a wire. Electrical contractors in Tyler, TX also advice to not cover the lamp shade with a cloth, as the it might heat up and start a fire.

·      Space Heaters

Space heaters are small and can cause a fire in a few seconds. According to electrical contractors in Tyler, TX, when portable heaters are put too close to flammable surfaces such as beds, clothes, curtains, rugs or couches, the excess heat can start a fire. The enclosed space causes the coil to burn hotter, which can ignite anything nearby. Space heaters must be kept at a high position so that they are not in contact with anything and can spread the heat evenly.

·      Extension Cord

Appliances plugged overnight can cause the extension cord to catch fire easily. It always starts with a burning smell, which causes a spark and then a fire is ignited. Always plug appliances directly into the outlet, unless the appliance requires a measured voltage. If you are still vary of the voltage, then hire electrical contractors in Tyler, TX to install new outlets.

Note: Hire electrical contractors in Tyler, TX and get all your outlets checked. Make sure that you are not plugging an 110V appliance into a 220V outlet.

The bottom line is that fire is an unpredictable thing and being extra cautious can save many lives. Installing fire alarm systems and annunciators can prevent all the above fire hazards. Installed by professional electrical contractors in Tyler, TX, the fire alarm will wake you up immediately when there’s a fire and the annunciators will notify you when there will be a change in the house temperature or any electrical circuit. This way, you can take the necessary measures to prevent the fire before it starts. Mister Sparky is an electrical service that deals with all kinds of electrical repairs, as well as installation of fire alarm systems. Their team of professional electrical contractors in Tyler, TX is familiar with the state-of-the-art techniques and guarantees a quality service.